Sunday, February 27, 2011

2-27-11

This weekend I worked, ate too much, and attended an Education Conference here in Tuscaloosa. On Saturday, I spent most of the day cleaning up a local school. I dusted, swept, and cleaned anything in sight. It was such a beautiful day & I enjoyed the fellowship with new friends!

This morning I went to campus to hear 2 different seminars. The first one was on Bullying and the second one was on Special Education. Here are some notes I took from the session about "Bullying." It really opened my eyes to the problem schools have with bullying. I've always told myself that if I can achieve anything when I become a teacher that I'm going to try and have a positive attitude when dealing with my students. I want my students to become productive citizens in society, but I believe more teachers need positivity and careful preparation!

-When it comes down to it, the issue is power. Every parent believes their child is an 'angel.' The responsibility falls on the teacher when a parent's "baby" becomes a bully.

-Power gives you the opportunity to distribute the blame.

-Just because you're loud, doesn't mean you're right!

-You have the opportunity to create an environment that's different from the outside.

-Students will adapt to a consistent environment. You have to alter their environment.

-We need to start teaching coping skills again: patience, forgiveness, courtesy, etc.

-"I remember when common sense use to be "fairly common."

-Everybody has a plan until you get hit in the mouth. -Mike Tyson.


~So overall, I really enjoyed the Bullying session. Students are exposed to so much and it's amazing how the environment has a huge impact.
-On the other hand, I'm still enjoying working at Gigi's, and I have some great co-workers! There are 4 of us "THE CORE 4" that work really well together and these girls have made my days soooo much better as we sell cupcakes!! Well, I'm off to write lesson plans! Kelly and I ate seafood, and I'm constantly reminded of our great friendship!


No comments:

Post a Comment