Monday, June 15, 2009

Florida's Forgotten Coast







What a fun weekend while staying in such a beautiful place! This past weekend, my cousin Tyler got married on St. George Island. It was my first beach wedding and I figured I would not be a fan of the wind, the sand, and the heat. However, it was by far the best wedding I have ever been to. We stayed in Apalachicola at The Consulate. It overlooked the bay with huge ships docked out in front. The Consulate use to be the former location of the French Consulate in the early 1800's. It was truly a take-your-breath away kind of place. The downtown area was cute and friendly with people walking or riding their bikes. Even though I was in Florida, Apalachicola had the feel of some place up North. Without the heat of course! Boy, was it muggy!


On Saturday, the wedding took place on St. George Island. It's about a 15 minute drive from Apalach. St. George Island is a 22 mile barrier island with some of the most beautiful beaches on the Gulf Coast. There is a lighthouse that stands tall right in the middle of the island.


Overall, the wedding was awesome! The set up was perfect and Lindsey looked beautiful. I can't fail to mention how good the cake was or how cool Tyler's cake was. It was a silver fish. If you can remember that commercial a couple of years back about that dancing and singing fish you could buy....that's what it looked like! I definitely stuffed my face with all of the food. When the sunset was setting, it reminded of how lucky I am to be surrounded by such a great family. I had so much fun hanging out with my cousins and making fun of my Granny! She's one of a kind for sure. The night ended with a WONDERFUL band that consisted of a bunch of old men playing & singing all genres of music. I had a blast dancing :) and it felt great to let loose. I haven't had that much fun in a while. It's summer right? But for all of those out there.....it's definitely worth your time to visit Apalachicola & St. George Island! I'm ready to go back. Such a perfect place to have a wedding! The night ended with a firework show as they were leaving. We all had sparklers. Weddings are such a special occassion & I loved every minute of this weekend.

*Next adventure.........my first family reunion in Spartanburg, South Carolina(in 2 weeks). This should be interesting!










No comments:

Post a Comment