Tuesday, May 11, 2010

#25 Send a Care Package to Troops

Training on land


Sending packages and writing letters to troops stationed overseas is something I enjoy more than anything. As many of you know my older brother Jason has been in the Marines for 4 years now. He has been to Afghanistan and is currently in Djbouti, Africa. I have not talked to him much in the last 5 months and he's already half way finished with his last deployment. Many times I feel so selfish that I go on with my regular routine of life when thousands of troops are stationed in the most desolate, destructive places in the world. My last week with my third graders will always be memorable for me because they wrote my brother and his platoon letters. The whole entire week I taught about the culture of Africa, the people, music, food, and civilization. I ended up learning many new things as I taught them. The letters turned out absolutely precious. It was so hard for me to hold back the tears as I read each letter when I got home. So sweet, so sincere. If third graders can write to letters overseas, why can't anyone else?? Since my brother has been in the Marines, I have written several troops who were complete strangers to me and have been written back many times. I think it become so easy to forget about our men and women serving our country. Just think about it....What if every person wrote just 1 letter to 1 person serving. That would be millions of letters and packages!! Jason's package should take about 2 weeks to get to him!

~Cat






No comments:

Post a Comment